WLMH is committed to provide leadership, education and to share knowledge with our patients, staff and community to promote a safe and healthy environment by facilitating best practices in Infection Prevention and Control. We believe it is the responsibility of each and every individual to practice good infection prevention, the basis of which continues to be hand washing!
"Infection Prevention is in Your Hands"
To minimize the risk of hospital-acquired infections in patients, staff and visitors WLMH provides:
- Education of patients and staff related to current infection prevention and control standards and practices. This includes patient-centered education, staff orientation and continuous education.
- Surveillance of all WLMH patient populations in collaboration with Public Health and The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. These initiatives include antibiotic resistant organisms, surgical site infections, ventilator-associated pneumonia, and blood stream infections.
- Prevention Prompt identification and implementation of appropriate controls of potential infectious diseases to ensure transmission does not occur. Strategies to prevent infection include hand hygiene for all staff, patients and visitors.
- Consultation Provide expert knowledge and direction to clinical staff, allied health professionals, patients, visitors and the community on matters related to the prevention and control of infections including: supplies and equipment, product usage, environmental and related issues.
- Outbreak Management investigate exposures and outbreaks of infectious diseases. Implement prompt control strategies to ensure patient and staff safety and maintain safe hospital operations. Conduct surveillance of post-operative surgical wound infections, antibiotic-resistant infections, and others.
Quality Assurance & Improvement:
Collaborate with other health care professional organizations in continuous Quality Improvement including: indicators, risk management, current infection prevention and control guidelines and audits for intervention and improvement and research participation locally, provincially and nationally to improve service.
West Lincoln Memorial Hospital
Infection Prevention and Control Services
169 Main Street East
Grimsby ON L3M 1P3
Tel: 905-945-2253, Ext. 437
https://ipac-canada.org/ http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/BrowseByTopic/InfectiousDiseases/PIDAC/Pages/PIDAC.aspx http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Departments/Pages/Regional_Infection_Control_Networks.aspx https://www.niagararegion.ca/health/
Please see the Infection Rates tab for the latest published infection rates.